Monday, September 27, 2010

Culture Shock

My country of origin is Ecuador. My first day in the United States was amazing because I was living in a diversified country. But I was surprised that there were no people in the street where I live. In Ecuador there is always people in the street, children playing, dogs running and people talking with their neighbors. While in the U.S I noticed moms waiting for their kids to arrive on the school bus and go indoors for the rest of the day. Parents in the United States are overprotective with their children. When I went to school in Ecuador; I used to walk a lot by myself. My mom wasn’t afraid because my city was safe. I was also allowed to play outside and even in the rain; it was funny. In contrast with children in the United States spend most of their time indoors playing with video games and watching TV. Another difference is that for Latin Americans family is very important. This is show in a TV advertisement of IKEA. In addition, Americans are representing with a couple with no children in the same TV ad but in English. There is something in my culture that many people find unusual but for me it is normal. Ecuadorians eat guinea pigs while Americans have them as a peg.

4 comments:

  1. I will be studying abroad in Spain and have been trying to do some research on cultural differences among the different Spanish speaking countries. I like reading about your own first hand experiences. It sounds like a great environment to grow up in as you are able to have more freedom about your day.

    The media definitely has a unique way of portraying family life and I always notice that myself. They often advertise Americans as more independent and strong willed as opposed to family oriented which is of equal importance. I have never tried a guinea pig but am definitely curious as to what that would taste like. It sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my various trips to the Dominican Republic I find that alot of the cultural differences you stated also hold true over there. Besides the guinea pig eating, which I hear is pretty good, I think its called qui in Ecuador. In the Dominican Republic you see kids as young as 4 or 5 walking around alone in the streets at all times of the day. They travel to school and basically anywhere else they need to go alone. I find that this is becasue in countries such as these theres more of a sense of community. Everyone in the neighborhood will know the child and its safer for them to be out alone then it is in a place such as new York. In New York if a parent doesnt have time to take their child outside and stay with them they have no choice but to keep them inside. Being that in these countries children dont usually have as many things that will keep them entertained inside the house such as videogames, parents may also feel an obligation or more of a need to ket their children out to play with other neighboorhood kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about people in America not being in the street very often. We are too private as a people. We Americans tend to be inside alone, instead of outside enjoying the sun with neighbors and friends. Children who unfortunately go straight home after school have it the worst. Parents should known, or someone ought to teach them that children need to play outside. If parents don't want their kids playing in the streets, take them to the park ! That is what its there for. As a civilized rich nation we have the luxury of parks everywhere around our neighborhoods. These less civilized countries such as Dominican Republic and Ecuador can't say the same. This is why their children are on the streets instead. As American's we need to take a leaf out of the hispanic culture and spend some more time outside. Buy your child a basketball instead of a Nintendo Wii.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This situation is also present in my country. when i came here i did not see kids on street playing and running like i did see back home.

    ReplyDelete