Friday, October 22, 2010

Decision-Making


1.     Which one of these ways did you personally use to handle the potential for chaos during the class decision-making exercise? 
The activity of decision-making that occurred in class had all elements such as frustration, self-serving behavior, people withdraws and many challenges. We were given 30 minutes to come up with a decision about grades and test improvement. The behavioral way was accommodation. At the beginning I was concerned about my grade and I thought in asking for an extra credit opportunity. When the professor gave the option of curve. I have to admit I did not know what curve a grade was. I was never give the option of extra 18 points in one exam. I accepted and I think was enough.
2.     Why did you choose this method? 
I chose the method of accommodation because I was happy with the curve. In addition, I was concerned that we did not get 100% agreement.
3.     What other methods did you observe in the class (examples?)? 
There were many different methods such as compete to win and many took the accommodation method. The method of compete to win was taken by all the people who went in front of the classroom.
4.     What OTHER way to handle conflict could you have chosen to get a more desirable result sooner and with less conflict? 
Another way will be to separate the class into four groups. Each group has to choose a leader and a solution for each group and discuss them instead of looking everyone solutions. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you r last solution for us to be separated into groups with team leaders. I think everyone would have had a saying in the small groups. But considering the circumstances we did not have time to chose team leaders and to be separated into small groups. Our time was limited, so I still think we made the best decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with your last solution. I think that would have made a much more efficient means of communication while it decreased the level of chaos we all saw was present. It would have given people the chance to voice their opinions and ideas in a calmer fashion.

    ReplyDelete